If a chronic or life-threatening illness has intruded into your life, your are probably experiencing tremendous upheaval.
Individuals and families touched by a serious medical diagnosis leading to a chronic or life threatening illness such as: Cancer, Heart Disease, HIV, Kidney Failure, Diabetes, Muscular Dystrophy, Crohn’s, Epilepsy are impacted physically, psychologically, emotionally and spiritually. In a moment, your life is changed. The effects can be pervasive, impinging on physical and emotional well-being, work, sexual relationships and family life. There is a sense of loss of control. The future becomes uncertain, as do relationships and roles you have previously assumed.
Illness of a family member is a crisis that affects the whole family. Everyone in your life is touched. During such a crisis, counseling can help your family pull together and reaffirm your personal values and commitments to one another.
Serious illness and dying raise deep questions about the meaning of your life and invite you to take stock:
“Who will remember me?”
“What will they remember me for?”
“What memories can I still create?”
“Who am I really?”
You may find yourself considering how your life fits into the larger life process that has been unfolding since the beginning of the universe.
“Perhaps all the dragons of our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us once beautiful and
brave. Perhaps everything terrible is, in its deepest being, something helpless that wants help from us.”
~ Rainer Maria Rilke
Studies show that the most positive outcomes can be achieved when your psychological state is addressed and nurtured along with your medical condition.
Counseling with Lind Butler, LPC Can Help By:
- Dealing with the crisis of the initial diagnosis of a chronic- life threatening illness
- Reducing stress through the use of self-relaxation and other behavioral stress management techniques
- Identifying individual, couple and family strengths
- Helping partners/caregivers with care taking and self-care issues
- Teaching behavioral pain management techniques
- Improving outlook and self-esteem
- Maintaining intimacy and dealing with sexual issues
- Coping with grief and loss associated with a chronic or life threatening illness.
If you’re ready to take the next step in dealing with a chronic-life threatening illness in your life, schedule an appointment with Lind Butler, Psychotherapist Houston.